Premium WordPress Themes and Support

Home Forums General WordPress The Jetpack Question

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Nick 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Philip Barrington
    Participant

I have to confess then when I first found Jetpack some years back I was quite delighted by having a single plugin that did good things. A long the way I have discovered that it does some bad things to, and as it has grown and developed I have liked it a bit less and a bit less. Today I wasted several hours of my time to establish that the most recent iteration of it was the cause on one of my sites breaking, so I have ripped it off.

Things I actually liked about it was the omni search, which I think is now abandoned, and the site stats.

Do other people have similar experiences, and do you think that site stats is worth the pain of Jetpack?

Nick
    Keymaster
    WP Colonel

I tested it once many years ago, once I saw it was bloatware (in my opinion), I never gave it another thought.

Philip Barrington
    Participant

I have always thought it was slowing down sites, and have been weaning myself off it. The stats issue has been a slowdown.

More research and I have found WP Power Stats

https://en-au.wordpress.org/plugins/wp-power-stats/

I have added it to two sites, one in place of Jetpack and one on a site that never had it. It seems to do the job better than Jetpack and with less overhead and slowing down the site.

The other thing I have added to a couple is WP Cerber Security.

https://en-au.wordpress.org/plugins/wp-cerber/

It seems as soon as you add a forum to a website you invite the party crashers. In its first day on my site it blocked 600 odd attempts, and is locking down IP addresses. It leaves me prepared to think about organising a forum again, as the last time to rubbish made it a full time job to manage which was not the plan. Thank you Nick for highlighting this plugin, along with the Asgaros Forum which is the easiest I have ever had to deal with. Thankyou for all you do for us.

Nick
    Keymaster
    WP Colonel

The easiest way to keep the rubbish out is to make the forums for registered members only, as I have done so in my website. Although Asgaros forums has the option to make each forum private or private I use the wptc-members and wptc-guests shortcodes to display the forums to logged in users, and the login widget with a message for those who are not logged in. WP Cerber does a few things very nicely, notably hiding the folder that the login script is found, logging who logged in and who failed to log in successfully, detects mass automated attacks and shuts down everything for safety, has white and black ip addresses, and shuts down some WP functions when not needed, like the REST API as an example. Of course everything can be configured to your liking. WP Cerber is not the only security measures you need to take, with it, you can eliminate 90% of the issues, setting a website key on top of a username and password is another as well as using the “block new admin” plugin, and let’s not forget to use sensible passwords and having the appropriate folder permissions. Furthermore, using plugins and themes that don’t have any security holes are probably the most important thing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.